1642 Monastery Door
The Very First Entrance
This door has always stood in the same place. Originally, it was the main point of entry to our Monastery. Our Monastery was one of the first buildings on Cap Diamant. At 35 meters by 9 meters, it was one of the largest construction projects in New France. Over time, other buildings were added to form a square known as the cloister. The windows provided a nice view of the inner courtyard at all times. European monasteries didn’t have glass paned windows, but the architects quickly adapted to the harsh winter climate!