The Cloister Grills
Originally, a grill separated us from the public section of the chapel. The openings in the double wooden grill were so small that there wasn’t even enough space to slip a hand between the laths. Later, when the chapel was renovated in 1902, a huge iron grill was installed. After the Second Vatican Council, we removed almost all of the grills, but left this division as a symbolic representation of the cloister.